Saturday, August 16, 2014

A View from the Porch


Despite the long hard winter and the cool and dry summer my gardens are doing very well.  I had very little winter damage but everything was very slow in emerging from the ground and late to bloom.  The cool summer has been wonderful for my Hydrangeas, and the dry weather has helped to keep the slugs at bay around my Hostas.






I have tried to grow several different types of hydrangeas over the years and some were planted well before I knew anything about what would survive and bloom in Northern Michigan.   We have very heavy snow cover so I have the best luck with  Annabelle and Incrediball Hydrangeas that I can cut back to the ground in the fall.  For beautiful and endless color I love the Endless Summer variety and have had very good luck with them.  The sunny areas in my garden are limited so I must be careful as to where I plant them.



In the few sunny spots in my gardens I plant a variety of Echinacea (coneflower).  The new colors are beautiful and could brighten up any garden.  I hope to try a "double" variety next year.   As I have only small areas of sun I do have to limit my selections.   



I'm looking for more ways to bring color into my shade gardens.  I do still plant impatients and try to put pots of color in various places and also use some garden art for color.  
If you have any ideas for more color I would love to hear from you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment